STEPHEN T. RANNEY, a well known member of commercial circles in Mount Sterling, was born in Elkhorn township, Brown county, Illinois, January 1, 1847, a son of Solomon Ranney. The paternal grand-father, Stephen Ranney, was a native of the State of New York, and his father emigrated from Wales in colonial times, and settled in New York State. Stephen Ranney was a lawyer by profession, and had a large and profitable practice. He was married to Olive Jaques, a native of New York State, who lived to the advanced age of ninety years. Solomon Ranney removed from New York to Ohio in an early day, and in 1842 came to Illinois; he spent a few years in Cass county, returned to Ohio, and again came to this State; he located the second time in Brown county, and as his means were limited he did not invest in land; he is now a resident of Pike county, Illinois. His wife's maiden name was Melinda Reeves, a native of Virginia, who died in 1849.
After the death of his mother, Stephen T. Ranney was taken in charge by his paternal grandmother, and was reared by her in Elkhorn township. In his youth he divided his time between the work on the farm and attending the common school.
There were no events of great importance connected with his career until 1864. In November of that year he enlisted in Company G, Fiftieth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and served until the close of the war. He was honorably discharged at Louisville, Kentucky, July 13, 1865, after which he returned to his home. He was variously employed for several years, but finally purchased land in Elkhorn township, which he cultivated until his removal in 1882, to Mount Sterling, where he has since made his home.
Mr. Ranney was married in 1877, March 3, to Melinda C. Perry, who was born November 12, 1847, in Brown county, Illinois. Of late years he has been one of the most prominent real-estate dealers in the place, having laid out an addition and built more residences in the past ten years, than any one other individual; he erected the Ranney Block, one of the handsomest business structures in Mount Sterling, and has been one of the most enterprising and energetic supporters of the county's interests.
Politically he is identified with the Democratic party. He served as Justice of the Peace in Elkhorn township, has represented the Second Ward on the Board of Aldermen, and in 1882 was elected Sheriff of the county; four years later he was elected Treasurer of the county, and in 1890 he was made Justice of the Peace. He has been a director of the Building and Loan Association since its organization, and in all the walks of life has shown himself a stanch, reliable man, worthy of the confidence reposed in him by the community in which he lives.
Biographical Review of Cass, Schuyler and Brown Counties, Illinois, Biographical Review Publishing Co., Chicago, 1892, pages 174-175.
Copyright 1999-2006 Judi Gilker; all rights reserved. For personal use only. Commercial use of the information contained in these pages is strictly prohibited without prior permission. If copied, this copyright must appear with the information.
Return to Biographical Review index