JOHN F. SNYDER
Biographical Review of Cass, Schuyler and Brown Counties, Illinois,
Biographical Review Publishing Co., Chicago, 1892, Page 604
JOHN F. SNYDER, a progressive and enterprising agriculturist of Littleton township, is a native son of Illinois, born at Rushville, Schuyler county, November 20, 1849, a son of William and Jane (Little) Snyder; the father was born in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, April 23, 1803, and was a cabinet maker by trade; he penetrated the frontier in 1835, and settled at Rushville, where he followed his trade until removing to Littleton township in 1854; here he engaged in farming in connection with his other vocation. His father, Henry Snyder, was also a native of the Keystone State, but emigrated to the West and died in Rushville township at the age of sixty-seven, October 23, 1835. William Snyder died on the farm now occupied by his son John F., September 22, 1875, at the age of seventy-three years; his wife was a Pennsylvanian by birth, and now deceased. They reared a family of seven children, five of whom are now living, viz: John F., who lived upon his father's farm until the death of the latter; Mrs. M. A. Davidson, Mrs. Ellen DeWitt, Mrs. Susan Dooley, and William. James Little, the maternal grandfather of John F. Snyder, departed this life October 19, 1855, aged seventy-one years, and his wife September 10, 1864, in the sixty-fourth year of her age. The subject of this sketch was first married October 2, 1873, to Miss Frances Park, who was born, reared, and died in this county; she was a daughter of Washington and Maria Park, natives of Ohio, who were among the early settlers of this county; the parents are deceased. Mr. Snyder's second marriage was May 12, 1880, when he was united to Miss Brunette Spragg; she was born in Lewis county, Kentucky, August 25, 1858. Five children have been born of this union, three of whom are now living: Mary J. dates her birth March 12, 1881; Martha E. was born September 10, 1883, and died April 16, 1889; William H., born December 23, 1885, died September 16, 1887; John L. was born December 8, 1889, and Charles Beam, July 26, 1892. Mrs. Snyder's parents are William P. and Mary B. (Scott) Spragg, natives of Ohio and Kentucky, respectively; they are now residents of Nashville, Tennessee. William P. Spragg was born November 22, 1837, in Fairfield county, Ohio. His father, N. B. Spragg, was born in the State of Pennsylvania, October 1, 1797. His wife, Rhoda Green, was born in Fairfield county, Ohio, July, 1795, the second white child born in that county. Mary B. Spragg, Mrs. Snyder's mother, was born in Greenup county, Kentucky, November 4, 1835, and married William P. Spragg, December 2, 1855. Her father, Jacob Scott, was born in the State of North Carolina, January 15, 1798, and his wife, nee Catherine Thompson, was born in Lewis county, Kentucky, June 24, 1802. Mr. Snyder settled on his father's farm after his marriage, purchasing fifty-four acres of land; as his means increased, he made additional investments, and now owns 210 acres, all in a high state of cultivation. He carried on his agricultural pursuits with great intelligence and energy, and has met with merited success; he gives especial attention to the raising of live stock, and has some very fine specimens on his place. Politically our worthy subject adheres to the principles of the Republican party, as did his father before him. He has filled some of the local offices, and has discharged the duties intrusted to him with a zeal and ability that have won the confidence of the community. He and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and are both active workers in the cause of the Master. His father was also a zealous churchman, and for many years, was a Class-leader on the frontier. Mr. Snyder belongs to Littleton Lodge, No. 766, A.F. & A.M. He was not a soldier in the late war, but his brother William was in the service two years, in Company A, Tenth Missouri Volunteer Infantry, and as wounded in the battle of Corinth. Concerning Mrs. Jane Snyder, deceased, the mother of the subject of the foregoing sketch, we are furnished with the following additional items: She was a daughter of Mr. James and Mrs. Rebecca Little, and was born in Columbia, Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, on the 26th day of July, 1810. On April 2, 1833, she was united in marriage with Mr. George Carson, who survived this marriage but fifty-seven days, leaving a young bride to mourn his untimely death. After a widowhood of nearly two years, she married Mr. William Snyder, on May 20, 1835, and soon after they removed to Illinois, first to Jacksonville, and then to Rushville, where they resided till 1854, when they removed to Littleton. Mr. Snyder died in September 1875, and Mrs. Snyder remained on the farm with her son, John F., till, within the last few years, she has been making her home with her daughter, first at Augusta, and then at Plymouth, spending some time every year with her son at the old home. She has returned but a short time to her home, from an extended visit with her son, when she was stricken down with a violent attack of the flux, and notwithstanding all that physicians could do, with the loving care and nursing of children and friends, she calmly departed out of this life on Friday, September 23, 1892, after only five days' illness, in the eighty-third year of her age. Mrs. Snyder was converted and united with the Methodist Episcopal Church, when she was but fifteen years old, and she held fast the beginning of her confidence firm until the end.
to Biographical Review index Bios
& Family Histories Page
Histories Index Return
to Home Page
Bios & Family Histories Page
Return to Home Page
Copyright 2006 Judi Gilker; all rights reserved. For personal use only. Commercial use of the information contained in these pages is strictly prohibited without prior permission. If copied, this copyright must appear with the information.