Situated in the extreme northern part of Littleton township, partly in Schuyler county and partly in McDonough county, is the cosy village of Doddsville. It was laid out by Samuel Dodds and Paris Wheeler, July 6, 1836, and platted and surveyed by Allen Persinger, county surveyor. That portion lying in Schuyler county is located on the N. W. 1/4 of section 5. Samuel Dodds built the first house and had the first store. The village formerly did considerable local trade. The principal business portion of the town at present is that which lies in McDonough county.
Wagon Maker.--J. H. Wheeler
That portion in McDonough Co. is as follows:
General Store.--W. G. Irvin
Physician.--J. W. Donnelly
The old Union church, used by all denominations, was built in 1851 and was a neat frame building. The Methodist congregation have a neat frame building, built in 1879, with Rev. W. F. Lowe for its present pastor. There is also a handsome church edifice belonging to the Presbyterian congregation. It is a frame building, and was erected in 1880, and is in that portion of the town lying in McDonough county. Rev. D. T. McAuley is the pastor.
Excerpted from The Combined History of Schuyler and Brown Counties, Illinois, 1882
Transcribed by Robin Petersen and Karl Petersen for Schuyler County ILGenWeb
Copyright 1999-2006 Judi Gilker; all rights reserved. For personal use only. Commercial use of the information contained in these pages is strictly prohibited without prior permission. If copied, this copyright must appear with the information.
Return to Littleton Township index