This is a little town situated in the extreme southeast part of the township. It was laid out by Ebenezer Dimmick, July 21st, 1843, and situated in section thirty-six. The first business was transacted by E. Dimmick, who was both merchant and postmaster. The present business is as follows:
General Stores--E. Dimmick, Warren Mallory.
Basket Factory--Charles Edwards.
Wagon Maker--G. W. Scott.
Blacksmiths--George F. Rebman, Henry Landon.
With the exception of a few years, Mr. Dimmick has been postmaster since the commencement of the town.
Schuyler County Agricultural Society--The first organization of this society was effected March 17, 1855. At the preliminary meeting, Benjamin Chadsey was chosen chairman. The first officers elected were, President, Benjamin Chadsey; Vice Presidents, John Brown, and E. M. Wilson; Corresponding Secretary, J. D. Manlove; Recording Secretary, D. W. C. Johnston; Treasurer, Willis Casson. The Executive Committee were chosen from the several townships, as follows:
Rushville--Jonathan Patterson and Levi Lusk;
Buena Vista--Jacob Snyder and John McCreery;
Frederick--Jesse Darnell and Thomas Bellomy;
Browning--Thomas J. Kinney and Samuel Burtiss;
Hickory--Henry Klepper and William K. Jones;
Bainbridge--Abraham Lamaster and George Strong;
Littleton--James DeWitt and John Sellars;
Birmingham--Dr. Cyrus Cowdry and James G. King;
Brooklyn--Charles D. King and James Worthington
The first fair was held in the fall of 1855, on the present school house grounds. It was subsequently held in Parrott's pasture, east of town. In 1859, the association leased ten acres of ground from the county for ninety–nine years, it being the northeast quarter of southeast quarter of section twenty-six, in Buena Vista township, and about a mile west of town. Since that time the grounds have been increased to about twenty five acres, making very convenient and commodious arrangements for fair purposes. It contains an excellent half-mile track, and a large amphitheatre, sufficient to accommodate at least 1500 people. There are two hundred stalls for stock, besides several box stalls. It contains a floral hall, and three other buildings for exhibition purposes. The ground is well shaded and watered, so that those in attendance are well supplied with comforts. The present officers are:
President--Robert B. McMaster;
Vice President--John Potts;
Corresponding and Recording Secretary--John S. Bagby;
Treausrer--A. H. Clark;
Executive Committee--Martin W. Greer, Charles W. Worthington, Alrick M. Foster, Thomas Coupland, and John M. Johnson.
The society is in good condition financially, having paid premiums in full, with a balance still in the treasury. During two years of the late war the fair suspended operations. The first premiums were paid wholly with silver-ware. The leading stock men of the county, at this writing are: A. H. Clark, R. B. McMaster, James Teel, John A. Young, F. E. and M. E. Cady, Wilbur F. Whitson & Son, Martin W. Greer & Co., Charles Worthington, Thomas Coupland, A. M. Foster, W. W. Potts, Fred and Charles Rodewald, Jacob Pruett, Simon Doyle & Sons, Henry G. Teel, and George Garrison.
Excerpted from The Combined History of Schuyler and Brown Counties, Illinois, 1882
Transcribed by Carol Longwell Miller for Schuyler County ILGenWeb
Copyright 1999, 2000 Robin L. W. Petersen; all rights reserved. For personal use only. Commercial use of the information contained in these pages is strictly prohibited without prior permission. If copied, this copyright must appear with the information.
Return to Rushville Township index