Methodist Episcopal Church, South
Dissensions within the Methodist Episcopal Church, growing out of the slavery question, led to the organization in Illinois of the Christian Union Church in 1864, and two years later a church of that denomination was founded in Schuyler County. The first society was organized at Kinderhook school house, Rushville Township, January 1, 1867, by Rev. Rumsey Smithson. On January 17, Rev. D. T. Sherman organized a society at Sugar Grove and, on April 20th, the Rushville circuit was organized.
In June, 1867, the members of the Christian Union Churches of Illinois met at Clinton and decided to change the name of the church to that of the Episcopal Methodist Church, and after being taken under the jurisdiction of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, the name was again changed.
The church at Rushville was organized in August, 1868, by Rev. William R. Howard, and since that time regular services have been conducted in this city and on the circuits.
Excerpted from Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of Schuyler County, 1908, edited by Howard F. Dyson.
Transcribed by Karl A. Petersen for Schuyler County ILGenWeb
Copyright 1999, 2000 Robin L. W. Petersen; all rights reserved. For personal use only. Commercial use of the information contained in these pages is strictly prohibited without prior permission. If copied, this copyright must appear with the information.
Return to Methodist Church index