The village of Bader was first visited by Beverly Curry in the year 1836, the first Christian preacher, and the meeting was held in the Joseph Dennis home. Four years later, in 1840, a congregation was organized there with a membership of 31. Elder G. P. Wilson was the first employed pastor, in the year 1873, and in the year 1876 the first church was erected at a cost of $1000.
This congregation was organized in the Garrison school house in Littleton township by Elders King and Patton, in the year 1839. In the year 1870 Rev. Alpheous Brown, with A. S. Robinson, re-organized this church, and a new building was erected one mile south of the school house, at a cost of $1,400, and A. S. Robinson was the first regular pastor.
The first preaching to be done in the village of Camden was by James McHatton and D. P. Henderson in the year 1840. It was not until 19 years later, in the year 1859, that a congregation of 14 members, was organized by Thomas Butler. Dr. B. P. Watts was the first addition to this small group of members, and was the first to be immersed. In 1866, Henry Smither of Rushville held a meeting, assisted by A. H Rice, and 25 members (mostly heads of families) came into the church. The first pastor was Thomas Butler. In the year 1875 came Henry Puett to hold a meeting, and as the result of this meeting the church membership grew to 100.
The church was built in the year 1868 at a cost of $1,800, and on September 24, 1881, a tornado which swept thru the village demolished the house of worship, leaving only the floor and foundation. The following year a new church was built at a cost of $1,000, which is the present house of worship.
A. H. Rice was the first Christian preacher in the village of Pleasant View, in the year 1865, and five years later, in 1870, a congregation was organized, and in 1871 a church was erected at a cost of $800. Thruout the intervening period of almost fourscore years since the Pleasant View church was organized, there has been preaching at intervals, and a working Congregation has been maintained.
The original organization of the Frederick Christian church dates back almost 60 years, for it was on June 1, 1890 following the completion of the new house of worship, that the dedicatory sermon was preached Rev. D. E. Hughes, resident pastor of the Rushville Christian church.
It was thru the efforts of a number of Frederick's Christian women that the church was erected, among the number being Mrs Hudson Dean, Mrs. Frank Rebman, and Mrs. Sarah Coningham. These three women, with others whose names we are unable to learn, all served unceasingly until their church was functioning in accordance with their ambitions.
This church was destroyed by fire on the first Sunday in October, 1935, and 13 months later, on November 15, 1936, a rebuilt house of worship, the present church edifice in Frederick, was dedicated, the sermon being preached by Rev. W. W. Vose, a beloved former pastor, who served there as church pastor during the period of World War I.
The church does not have a resident pastor at this time, but Sunday school is held regularly, with a good attendance of the Frederick folks.
The organization of a Christian church denomination in the village of Ray followed a series of tabernacle meetings held there by Rev. D. E. Hughes, pastor of the First Christian church in Rushville, in the fall of 1895. Unusual interest was shown in the meeting conducted by Rev. Hughes, and scores of persons from the surrounding community were converted and administered the rites of baptism as a result of the meetings.
Following the close of the meetings a Sunday school was organized, and regular sessions were held in the village school building until the erection of the new Christian church was completed in the year 1896, and the dedicatory sermon was preached by Rev. D. E. Hughes.
The church, under the guiding hands of a group of interested men and women, thrived, and the attendance at Sunday school grew by leaps and bounds, the classes being composed of older residents as well as the children of the community.
A number of noted ministers served the pastorate, among them being Rev. George C. Ross, Rev. H. C. Littleton, and Rev. Fred Wilson.
After the church had been functioning nicely for several years, it was struck by lightning and burned, to the regret of the entire community. Later a church was erected on the old church site, and regular services held there for a time, or until the removal of many families from the community, when the congregation diminished to such extent that the church was abandoned and was afterward wrecked and sold for a residence.
The Rushville Times, October 7, 1948
The Rushville Times by permission.
Copyright 1999, 2000 Robin L. W. Petersen; all rights reserved. For personal use only. Commercial use of the information contained in these pages is strictly prohibited without prior permission. If copied, this copyright must appear with the information.
Return to Christian Church index