THE CHRISTIAN CHURCH
By William Fowler
A. H. Rice was the first to preach in our place the doctrine of the Christian Church, where he added quite a number to the membership. In 1867 J. B. Corwin preached part of his time in the same church, also making some additions. Having moved into the school house, John Lagrange, in 1870, commenced a meeting in the M. E. Church, with some assistance and they organized a congregation, and in 1871 and ’72, they built a house of worship, with a seating capacity for about 180 persons, at a cost of about $800. They have had preaching, more or less, since that time, and kept up a congregation ever since. The regular pastors, since they have had a house of their own, have been as follows: David Sharples, Joseph Royal, P. D. Vermillion, Elder Black, and at present M. D. Sharples. The congregation is in a flourishing condition, but few in number.
This is a very short sketch of the history of this congregation.
Source: The Combined History of Schuyler and Brown Counties, Illinois, 1882
Transcribed by Carol Longwell Miller for Schuyler County ILGenWeb
Copyright 1999, 2000 Robin L. W. Petersen; all rights reserved. For personal use only. Commercial use of the information contained in these pages is strictly prohibited without prior permission. If copied, this copyright must appear with the information.
Return to Rushville Township index