Roman Catholic Church
Since early in the 'sixties, the Roman Catholics have had services in Rushville, but the congregation was never large enough to support a resident priest. In the early days, when Rushville was a parish in the Chicago diocese, services were held at the home of Patrick Fox, and the priest made regular visits here to minister to the little congregation. About 1870 the present church building was erected, and services are held once a month. When the diocese of Peoria was erected in 1870, Rushville parish was included in the territory taken from the Chicago diocese.
Excerpted from Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of Schuyler County, 1908, edited by Howard F. Dyson
Transcribed by Karl A. Petersen for Schuyler County ILGenWeb
Copyright 1999, 2000 Robin L. W. Petersen; all rights reserved. For personal use only. Commercial use of the information contained in these pages is strictly prohibited without prior permission. If copied, this copyright must appear with the information.
Return to Catholic Church index