Rushville Businesses, 1894
30, January, 2008
The following are some businesses that were located in Rushville,
Babcock – Clothier and Furnisher: Henry A. Babcock began business in March, 1893, in the hotel block and had moved to the Thompson block on the east side by 1894. His experience in the
business dated back to about 1877.
Goodwin – Clothing, Boots & Shoes: Since 1878 John W. Goodwin has been connected with the clothing business in Rushville. He commenced business with Warren Bros., and afterwards, in
connection with his brother Charles, purchased the stock of goods. The death of Charles Goodwin caused a change to be made in the firm and June 12, 1894, John
Goodwin assumed sole ownership.
Wells Bros. – Clothing, Boots & Shoes: This firm was composed of Charles H. Wells and Lewis C. Wells and was established in 1875. They had three locations since that time,
all on the south side of the square. At the time of the south side fire they were located in the Jackson’s building. In 1882 they erected the store
building they now occupy and are joint owners in the opera house.
Dentist – R. C. Amrine, D.D.S.:
Dr. R. C. Amrine was born and raised in Vermont, Ill., but took up his home here in 1889 to study dentistry under Dr. Doolittle. After one year spent in
preliminary study he attended a full course in the dental college of the State University of Iowa, and graduated in 1891. After practicing with Dr. Atkinson at
Astoria some time he bought out Dr. Hefner, who moved to Chicago, and has since occupied his rooms over the Little building.
Dr. E. H. Leib’s dentist office was on the northeast corner of the square,
George Little’s Department Store: George Little was a pioneer merchant in Rushville. He was born in Columbia, Pennsylvania Feb. 9, 1808; came to Rushville in 1836, embarking in the mercantile
business immediately after his arrival. In 1894 Mr. Little was still the head of the Little Department Store but had turned the management over to his two
grandsons, J. L. and G. H. Scripps six years before.
The business review in the Rushville Times of December, 1894 stated the Little
Department Store was a large new 3 – story brick building. The third floor was occupied by the Masonic Order; the front of the second floor had two office
suites occupied by Dr.’s R. C. Armine and Chas. Sly. All the first floor and a portion of the second was taken up by the Department
Twelve clerks were employed in the Little Department Store. Mr. J. Y. McFeeters was
the book-keeper; Jay Davis was in charge of the dry goods department and Fred Glossop in the grocery department.
Druggist: A. K. Smither was located on
the west side in Daniel Knoch’s new building. He carried a full stock of drugs and standard patent medicines, also a good supply of house
N. Vedder purchased the J. G. McCreery stock of drugs in 1886 and conducted
business at the old stand. He had been in the drug business for 31 years. Besides the regular drug stock he handled school books and supplies, wall-paper and
paint. Harry Yoe was a clerk in this drug store.
In December, 1890, W. H. Hawkings & Co. opened their doors to the public in
the Neiman building on the south side of the square. Mr. Hawkins had worked his way up in the business and was granted a druggist’s certificate on
practical experience. He had been connected with the drug business since 1884. Bert Phillips, a graduate of the Chicago School of Pharmacy, was associated
with him in business.
Dr. Thomas Finch and son Marshall were the proprietors of the Rushville Pharmacy
and had conducted business on the south side since 1887. In 1884 they commenced business in the old Prentiss store on the east side. Marshall Finch was a
graduate of the St. Louis School of Pharmacy. Dr. Finch in addition to the regular drug business, continued to practice his profession.
Information on these businesses came from the Schuyler-Brown Historical and
Genealogical Society Newsletter, Oct. 1982. Please keep in mind that these businesses were all operating in Rushville in 1894. What a thriving town Rushville
must have been.
Click on the "Big News" Photo to submit your
Schuyler County newspaper information.
Return to Newspaper Index
Genealogically Speaking 30, January, 2008 - copyright 2008 The Rushville Times - Written by Edie Fishel
Used by permission Schuyler County Historical Jail Museum
and Genealogical Center.
Copyright 2008 The Rushville Times; all rights reserved. For personal use only. Commercial use of the information contained in these
pages is strictly prohibited without prior permission. If copied, this copyright must appear with the information.