Contributed by Chester
MARLOW, Levi S. – Adjacent
to the village of Mabel, Schuyler County, Ill., lies the farm of 200 acres
which for sixty-three years, or during his entire lifetime, has been the
home of Mr. Marlow. Here he was born August 16, 1844, the son of
Hanson and Esther (Whiteman) Marlow, the former a native of Kentucky, and
the latter a descendant of Virginian ancestors. About the time of
his first marriage, in 1825, Hanson Marlow came to Illinois as a pioneer
and here he was deprived of the companionship of his wife, here death occurring
soon afterward. Subsequently he was united in marriage with Esther
(Whiteman) Ayes, a widow, whose husband had died of cholera. About
1826 Mr. Marlow came to Schuyler County, settling at first near Littleton,
and about 1837 he came to Camden Township, on Section 22, and here he rounded
out the remainder of his long and useful career. At the time he came
to this locality there was little to encourage one to battle with the rude
conditions which existed on every hand, but with the true pioneer spirit
he steadfastly adhered to his purpose to make a home for himself and family,
first erecting a small log cabin. In the course of time, after a
portion of the land had been cleared and the land cultivated, this rude
structure gave place to a more commodious double log cabin, and here, and
in the home previously mentioned, all of the four sons were born and reared.
Some idea of the scarcity of neighbors at the time Mr. Marlow came to this
section, may be gathered from the fact that when he erected his first house
there were only two or three cabins in Rushville, and but few between his
farm and Quincy. Mr. Marlow’s first purchase of land consisted of
130 acres, part of the land now included in the old homestead, and in partnership
with his brother, Alfred, he purchased another farm of the same size, which
they operated together for a number of years. By purchases Hanson
Marlow added to his original acreage until he had 160 acres, to which he
supposed he had a clear title, but his claim to ownership was disputed
and he was obliged to pay for the land again. As his means permitted
he purchased other land adjoining, until at one time he owned 520 acres.
At the time of purchase the greater part of the land was heavily timbered,
but with the assistance of his sons he cleared away the timber and
underbrush, and in time waving fields of grain were to be seen in their
stead. As his children grew to maturity, he gave to each a share
of the home farm. The eldest son, Henry, is a resident of Sullivan,
Ind.; Hanson who is now deceased, married Miss Nancy Davis, by whom he
had a son and daughter, both of whom are now deceased; the other son, besides
Levi S., is John W., who owns and cultivates a farm in Camden Township.
The mother of these children passed away in 1860, and some years later
the father was united in marriage with Mrs. Nancy Green, who was left a
widow about one year after her marriage, and she, too, is now deceased.
The death of Hanson Marlow occurred 1863 and was deeply felt in the community
where he had made his home for so many years and toward whose upbuilding
he had done so much. Throughout his life he adhered rigidly to the
religious teachings of his parents, and was an ardent member of the Methodist
Episcopal Church. During the early days, before a house of worship
had been erected, his home was the stopping place for the circuit riders
who came to minister to the people. Hospitality was one of his chief
characteristics, a quality which he inherited from a long line of Southern
Levi S. Marlow was
born in the double log cabin on the old homestead, August 16, 1844, and
all the school training he received was in the district school at Camden,
three miles from his home. As soon as he was large enough he began
to aid in the duties which fall to the lot of every farmer's son, his father
at that time owning 520 acres, well stocked with cattle. Until he
was thirty years old he worked continuously on the farm, but at this age
he took up work at the plasterer's trade, building cisterns principally,
and also to some extent, worked at the carpenter's trade. Among his
accomplishments in the latter trade may be mentioned the First Methodist
Episcopal Church, South, known at that time as the Union Chapel.
He gave the ground on which the edifice was erected, $25 in cash, hewed
the frame, and in addition gave sixty day’s work. The services of
the church and Sunday-school have been maintained without interruption
since the church home was built, church services being held every two weeks,
and Sunday-school, class and prayer meetings every Sunday. Though
not a member of the church, Mr. Marlow is a liberal giver to its charities
and is especially active in Sunday school work, and since its organization
has been treasurer of the Sunday school at Camden. Many of the finest
houses in Camden stand as monuments to Mr. Marlow’s skill and ingenuity,
and taken all in all, he has been a prominent factor in the march of progress
in this part of Schuyler County.
Mr. Marlow’s marriage,
in West Quincy, Mo., January 6, 1865, united him with Margaretta Rice,
a native of Columbus, Ohio, and a daughter of John and Rebecca Rice, both
natives of Pennsylvania, whence they removed to Ohio, and still later to
Missouri. Their last home was in Illinois, where both passed away,
the father dying in 1863. Of the ten children born to Mr. And Mrs.
Marlow, Henry A., a farmer in Camden Township, married Mary E. Terrell;
Esther became the wife of James Lawson, a farmer of Bainbridge Township
and had two children one of whom Verna , living: the next died in infancy;
George W. by his marriage with Mary C. Corsey, became the father of three
children of whom one died in infancy; Lena is now four years old
and Guy is a farmer in this locality; Julietta and Jeanetta were
twins, the latter being killed by a runaway horse and former being the
wife of William Lawson, by whom she has one son, Ray; Ida May, the
wife of Thomas Fitch, has two children, Guy and Carl Frederick; Fannie,
the wife of Elmer Carter, of Gray, Stevens County, Wash., has five children
– Harold, Emory, Lewis, Ernest, and Opal Olive, three having died in infancy;
Eva M., was first married to Emery Calvert, by whom she had two children
– Mabel and Myrtle Ruth; by her marriage with Mead A. Clayton, she has
three children – Roscoe, Emery and Lorena; Carl L., a farmer in Camden
Township, married Nettie Elliott. Mrs. Margaretta Marlow died November
18, 1887, leaving to mourn her loss a family of devoted children, and many
friends who had learned to love her for her many noble christian virtues.
She was a member of Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Marlow was subsequently
married to Mary E. Elder, who was born in Buena Vista, Ill., a daughter
of Robert and Luanna (Allen) Elder. While she was a mere child Mrs.
Marlow was left an orphan, and was reared and tenderly cared for by Mrs.
Margaret Eifert, with whom she remained until her Marriage.
Socially, Mr. Marlow
is a Mason, belonging to the lodge at Camden. Six times he has been
elected to the office of Justice of the Peace, serving in this capacity
for twenty-four years. Three times he has been elected Collector, and has
also been thrice elected Assessor. Mr. Marlow’s long retention in
office is an excellent indication of the fitness for the trusts in
question, and an unmistakable evidence of his popularity in the community.
Biography, , Levi S. Marlow.
Reference: Chapter 32, Pages 877-878, Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois
and History of Schuyler County, edited by Newton Bateman, Paul Selby, &
Howard F. Dyson; Munsell Publishing Co., Chicago, Illinois, 1908.
Submitted by Chester H. Neff, Jan. 2000.
Copyright 2000-2006 C. H. Neff;
all rights reserved. For personal use only. Commercial use of the information
contained in these pages is strictly prohibited without prior permission.
If copied, this copyright must appear with the information.
Return to Submitted Biographies
& Family Histories Page
to Home Page