Since early in the’sixties, the Roman Catholics have had services in Rushville, but the congregation was never large enough to support a resident priest. In the early days, when Rushville was a parish in the Chicago diocese, services were held at the home of Patrick Fox, and the priest made regular visits hereto minister to the little congregation. About 1870 the present church building was erected, and services are held once a month. When the diocese of Peoria was erected in 1870, Rushville parish was included in the territory taken from the Chicago diocese.
Excerpted from Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of Schuyler County, 1908, edited by Howard F. Dyson. Transcribed by Karl A. Petersen for Schuyler County ILGenWeb.