Just when the first
services of the Baptist Church were held in Schuyler County is not a matter
of record, but the ministers of that faith were early in the field and
had reached Rushville in the latter 'twenties. A division of the church
at this early day tended to disorganize the evangelistic work and the effects
of it were felt in this county.
On October 20, 1832, a Baptist
Church of Christ called Concord, was organized, and there were twenty-three
persons in Schuyler who signed the constitution and articles of faith.
Elder John Logan was called as pastor and he served until 1836 when he
was succeeded by Elder Newell. Services had been held principally
in the country up to this time, but in 1837 a building was erected in Rushville.
After a short time this building was sold and a new church was built on
the Macomb road, four and a half miles north of Rushville. Elder
Davis was pastor of the church from 1840 to 1847, and during these years
there was a great revival of interest. This culminated in the building
of a new church in Rushville in 1851, but for some reason the church never
thrived in this city, and finally the congregation was unable to keep up
their organization, and the building was sold to the Rushville Union School
district and is now used for the primary grades.
Excerpted from Historical
Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of Schuyler County, 1908, edited
by Howard F. Dyson.
Transcribed by Karl A. Petersen
for Schuyler County ILGenWeb
Bios & Family Histories Page
Return to Home Page