The Christian Church
It was in 1829 that the first service of this denomination was held in Schuyler County, and the minister was Elder James Hughes, who was on his way to Missouri from Ohio. He stopped at the home of Benjamin Chadsey, one of the prominent early settlers, and was eagerly welcomed. Services were held at Mr. Chadsey's home, two and a half miles northeast of Rushville, and while no attempt was made to found a church, the members of that denomination were brought closely together and looked forward to the time when they could have a place of worship in accordance with their beliefs.
In 1830, Barton W. Stone, of Kentucky, came to Rushville and held in series of meetings in the old log court house.
Great interest attended these meetings, and the following year Elder James W. Davis and James Urbank came from Kentucky to continue their work. Then it was that the first steps were taken towards the organization of a church, which was accomplished in 1833. In that year a church was built and Elder Barton W. Stone returned to perfect the organization, which was accomplished December 29, 1833. In succeeding years the church continued services regularly, and in 1874 the building now in use was erected and was dedicated, March 1, 1875.
Excerpted from Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of Schuyler County, 1908, edited by Howard F. Dyson.
Transcribed by Karl A. Petersen for Schuyler County ILGenWeb
Copyright 1999-2006 Judi Gilker; all rights reserved. For personal use only. Commercial use of the information contained in these pages is strictly prohibited without prior permission. If copied, this copyright must appear with the information.
Return to Christian Church index