In the history of the EpiscopalChurch of Illinois Rushville stands pre-eminent as one of the first townsto establish a church of that denomination. Although the Diocese of Illinoiswas not organized until March 9, 1835, Christ Church Parish, Rushville,was organized in February, 1834. There were then but three or four otherEpiscopal churches in the State and when Bishop Chase, the first Bishopof Illinois, made his first visitation to the State, Rushville was includedin his itinerary.
Little is known of the earlyhistory of the church in this city, but it is a matter of record that achurch was erected and on March 19, 1837, was consecrated. There is addedinterest in the local history of the church for the reason that the AnnualConvention of the Diocese of Illinois was held here on June 4 and 5, 1838,and again in 1842. In this latter year the church records show that therewere but 491 communicants in the whole State.
It is not possible to reviewthe early history of this church, for all the old members have long sincepassed away. In the ‘forties the church maintained its own buildingand Rev. Robert J. Walker served the parishes of Rushville and Beardstown,giving alternate Sundays to each. He was succeeded by Rev. Clotworthy,who remained for a few years and sometime in the ‘fifties regular servicesceased and the building reverted to the donors. About ten years ago Rushvillewas made a station in the missionary field, and regular services are nowheld every fortnight, in a mission room which has been fitted up by thelocal congregation.
Excerpted from HistoricalEncyclopedia of Illinois and History of Schuyler County, 1908, editedby Howard F. Dyson.
Transcribed by Karl A. Petersenfor Schuyler County ILGenWeb
Copyright 1999, 2000 RobinL. W. Petersen; all rights reserved. For personal use only. Commercialuse of the information contained in these pages is strictly prohibitedwithout prior permission. If copied, this copyright must appear with theinformation.