Erwin is a small villagenear the banks of Crooked Creek, on the northwest quarter of the northwestquarter of section 26, and was laid out by Columbus C. Meeks, and the platand survey were made by County Surveyor, Leonidas Horney, on the 27th ofMarch 1860. Columbus C. Meeks built, of hewed log, the first house,in 1856, and kept the first store and first blacksmith shop, was the firstjustice of the peace and first postmaster, when a post-office was establishedin 1856. The first school-house built in the village was a neat frame,erected in 1866, and the first teacher was James Bliss. It is still inuse, there being a term of six months each year. They have no church building,but there is a religious sect calling themselves The Holiness Band. Thepresent business is confined to a General Store, Eugene Mallory;Groceriesand Postmaster, J. T. Stofer; Blacksmith, William Conn. Thetown has never been organized as a village.
Excerpted from The CombinedHistory of Schuyler and Brown Counties, Illinois, 1882
Transcribed by Carol LongwellMiller for Schuyler County ILGenWeb
Copyright 1999-2006 Judi Gilker; all rights reserved. For personal use only. Commercialuse of the information contained in these
pages is strictly prohibitedwithout prior permission. If copied, this copyright must appear with theinformation.