MethodistEpiscopal Church, South
Dissensions withinthe Methodist Episcopal Church, growing out of the slavery question, ledto the organization in Illinois of the Christian Union Church in 1864,and two years later a church of that denomination was founded in SchuylerCounty. The first society was organized at Kinderhook school house, RushvilleTownship, January 1, 1867, by Rev. Rumsey Smithson. On January 17, Rev.D. T. Sherman organized a society at Sugar Grove and, on April 20th, theRushville circuit was organized.
In June, 1867, the membersof the Christian Union Churches of Illinois met at Clinton and decidedto change the name of the church to that of the Episcopal Methodist Church,and after being taken under the jurisdiction of the Methodist EpiscopalChurch, South, the name was again changed.
The church at Rushville wasorganized in August, 1868, by Rev. William R. Howard, and since that timeregular services have been conducted in this city and on the circuits.
Excerpted from HistoricalEncyclopedia of Illinois and History of Schuyler County, 1908, editedby Howard F. Dyson.
Transcribed by Karl A. Petersenfor Schuyler County ILGenWeb
Copyright 1999,2000 Robin L. W. Petersen; all rights reserved. For personal use only.Commercial use of the information contained in these pages is strictlyprohibited without prior permission. If copied, this copyright must appearwith the information.