Oct. 10, 2007
Time is running out. On November 1st the Schuyler Jail Museum will return to its
winter schedule. The museum section will then be closed until April 1, 2008 and the genealogical section will only be open on Saturdays and Sundays from 1
– 5 p.m. So, please come in and tour the museum before it closes.
The museum has recently acquired the following items: Rose Busby donated a nurse uniform belonging
to Shirley Ward; Barbara Botts brought in a pair of baby shoes and stockings for her previously donated doll. Bonnie Hanning gave a vase holding 22 hat pins
and a box filled with assorted old containers (kitchen, spice, medicinal, personal grooming, etc.). From the Frances DeWitt estate we have a quilt pattern of the
Hospital. The wall quilt presently hangs in the Senior Citizens building. Also, two pictures of the 1930 grand opening of the J. C. Penney store, a
1985 Springfield newspaper 3 page story on Dr. Dohner, a Rushville Times, Jan. 10, 1924 issue depicting the fire that destroyed the north side of the
Also added to our library are the 1990 – 2007 volumes of the R.H.S. RE-Echos. We are now up to
date on these. Anyone is welcome to come in and browse through them.
More Rushville Merchants – “Edward G. Chipman Sells Store to Jerry E.
“Edward G. Chipman, who for the past seventeen years has owned and operated the Chipman
Clothing store on the east side of the public square, announced this week that he has sold his store to Jerry E. Bowers, of this city, who will take possession
on Saturday, July 1.
“Mr. Bowers is well known to the people of this community, and has been associated in this
particular field of work for the past twenty years or longer. He began work at the J. L. Barton Clothing store in Rushville in 1921, and later represented
Robert Krause Manufacturing Co. of Burlington, Iowa, for a number of years. For the past several years he has assisted Paul R. Stephens in the operation of
his store on the north side of the square in Rushville.
“Mr. Chipman, who has been affiliated with the business and civic affairs of the city and
county, will devote his entire time to his new position as field representative for the Springfield district OPA, in eleven counties.” – The
Rushville Times, June 29, 1944
“Vancil Hatchery Now Has 30,000 Egg Capacity” – “Mrs. Lyda Vancil, who last
week opened her chick hatchery on North Liberty street, is this year preparing for increased business with the installation of two new Jamesway unit
“These new units now give the Vancil Hatchery an incubator capacity for 30,000
eggs. Each of the incubator units can be automatically heated by electricity, in conjunction with a system of hot water heating. Mrs. Vancil plans to
take the first hatches from the incubator on February 21." The Rushville Times, 2 Feb. 1938.
Click on the "Big News" Photo to submit your
Schuyler County newspaper information.
Return to Newspaper Index
Return to Home
Genealogically Speaking Oct. 10, 2007 - copyright 2007 The Rushville Times - Written by Edie Fishel
Used by permission Schuyler County Historical Jail Museum
and Genealogical Center.
Copyright 2007 The Rushville Times; all rights reserved. For personal use only. Commercial use of the information contained in these
pages is strictly prohibited without prior permission. If copied, this copyright must appear with the information.