Since early in the’sixties, the Roman Catholics have had services in Rushville, but the congregationwas never large enough to support a resident priest. In the earlydays, when Rushville was a parish in the Chicago diocese, services wereheld at the home of Patrick Fox, and the priest made regular visits hereto minister to the little congregation. About 1870 the present churchbuilding was erected, and services are held once a month. When the dioceseof Peoria was erected in 1870, Rushville parish was included in the territorytaken from the Chicago diocese.
Excerpted from HistoricalEncyclopedia of Illinois and History of Schuyler County, 1908, editedby Howard F. Dyson
Transcribed by Karl A. Petersenfor Schuyler County ILGenWeb
Copyright 1999, 2000 RobinL. W. Petersen; all rights reserved. For personal use only. Commercialuse of the information contained in these pages is strictly prohibitedwithout prior permission. If copied, this copyright must appear with theinformation.